As the days get shorter, the pumpkins are out on porches; what are some healthy ways to add pumpkin to our meals?
Here is a way and it is scrumptious! Pumpkin Pecan Granola-it is:
- high protein from pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pecans and pea protein powder
- it has no refined sugar
- tastes sweet, pumpkiny with pumpkin spices
- lots of crunch
- super easy to mix up then just bake it
- You’ll want to eat it all right now!
What about you? Are you in love, love with everything pumpkin?
There are a few variations you can do with this granola, if you are allergic to nuts, leave out the pecans and put in more sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Best to use raw seeds and nuts for this recipe; after all the baking time will roast them all.
Thick rolled oats were used, they are also called Old Fashioned Oats, I like these, they keep their shape and I think they are better for us. You can buy organic oats in the bins in many grocery stores.
Chop the pecans a bit if you want or leave them whole. The seeds are left whole too.
If you are not fond of maple syrup, use agave syrup or coconut palm sugar instead. The pea protein powder adds extra protein so that your breakfast will stick with you for many hours. I really like Trader Joe’s Vanilla Pea Protein powder. You could leave the protein powder out if you don’t have any. A wee bit of healthy oil (avocado) was used, you could use applesauce instead.
Bake it, let it cool and get your bowl ready! Serving it with a few dark chocolate chips is fun.
What are you eating for breakfast? Come on over and have some Pumpkin Pecan Granola with me ok?
Pumpkin Pecan Granola
Vegan, high protein, gluten-free pumpkin pecan granola recipe made with maple syrup.
- 1-1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats regular oats will work as well
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, (chopped coarsely if desired)
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla pea protein powder (3 tablespoons) Trader Joe's brand was used
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice (trader Joe brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons Avocado or mild olive oil*
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Once baked and cooled
- 1/4 cup (optional) dark chocolate vegan chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl, mix dry ingredients including spices together.
Add pumpkin puree, oi, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir well to combine.
Spread mixture onto silpat covered or parchment covered rimmed baking sheet.
Baker for 25-30 minutes. Turn off oven, let granola sit in oven to completely dry. Remove from oven. Once granola is cool, may mix in dark chocolate chips. Store in airtight glass canning jars.
Allergic to nuts? use extra pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
May leave out vanilla pea protein powder if desired.
I like Trader Joe's pumpkin spice mix because it has lemon in it. If you use regular pumpkin spice mix add in some lemon zest if desired.
If you want to avoid oil use all pumpkin puree or 2 tablespoons applesauce.
Products used in this recipe:
Download Betty's Ultimate Pumpkin Recipes!
Bettys Ultimate PumpkinRecipes.pdf. Fast, amazing recipes that will Wow your friends and family.
Gluten-Free, AIP and Paleo Options