The great thing about hot, hot weather is thinking outside the usual cooking ideas with veggies that you would usually steam.
Which vegetable am I talking about? You guessed it! Oh, the title gave it away? Teeeheee!
At the farmer’s Market this week, there was pencil thin asparagus (yum!), radishes, scallions, baby lettuces and blackberries.
Would you combine all of those together? I didn’t know when I grabbed them that I would either. It just worked out that way. And the flavors work marvelously together.
- Savory (asparagus),
- peppery (radishes and green onion),
- sweet (blackberries) and
- salty (pistachios)
- along with baby soft lettuces
It makes for a winning combination! And we haven’t even gotten to the the vinaigrette!
You can eat asparagus raw, pencil thin is going to be the easiest and fastest way. Cut the pencil thin asparagus in small diagonal pieces
and as you are cutting it notice when the knife has to work a bit harder. For my asparagus this was about half way down the asparagus. Use the bottom half of the asparagus in a recipe that you will steam, stir-fry or grill with other veggies.
Cut the radishes and scallion on the diagonal, like this.
Add them to your salad, sprinkle on the blackberries and pistachios.
If you don’t like pistachios raw pumpkin seeds would be delicious.
Pull out the vinaigrette ingredients put those in a little canning jar, shake, shake shake,
pour, toss your salad and eat!
Isn’t it pretty? When our food is colorful it is more pleasurable to eat, don’t you agree?
Raw asparagus Salad works well to put in a jar and eat it later, if you do that don’t add the baby lettuce until you’re ready to eat.
Did you get to the farmer’s market? What did you pick-up? I’d love to know, the comments are that tiny blip on the upper right hand corner of your screen just start typing & it’ll work:)
PSSST did you know that July 16 is Amazon Prime Day? For prime members it means amazing great deals (well at least we hope so..but only of things you actually need) and if you are not a prime member you can start a free prime trial during this time.
Want to save this recipe for later? Save to Pinterest oh, and you can follow me there too!
Raw Asparagus Radish Salad
Raw asparagus radish salad with pistachios and blackberries blended with a mustard vinaigrette that takes 10 minutes to make and it is fabulous to eat!
- 1-1/4 cups organic baby greens
- 8.5 ounces pencil thin asparagus, cut on diagonal small pieces -top half of asparagus) (3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup radishes, cut on diagonal (3 large radishes)
- 2 scallions, cut on diagonal, white and lighter part of green portion 1/4 cup total
- 1/3 cup fresh organic blackberries (fresh blueberries would be good too)
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, salted
- 3 tablespoons avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic red wine vinegar Or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pinches celery seed (or celery salt)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon pure cane sugar or other sweetener
1. Put salad ingredients in a bowl in order as listed above.
Put all vinaigrette ingredients in small jar with a tight fitting lid, shake a few times to emulsify. Pour over salad.
Cut the pencil thin asparagus in small diagonal pieces. As you are cutting it towards the lower half portion, notice when the knife has to work a bit harder. Use the lower half for another recipe.
Use the lower half of the asparagus in a recipe that you will steam, stir-fry or roast with other veggies.
Download Betty's Ultimate Pumpkin Recipes!
Bettys Ultimate PumpkinRecipes.pdf. Fast, amazing recipes that will Wow your friends and family.
Gluten-Free, AIP and Paleo Options