Have you made your own almond milk?
That was a question I received recently and so I decided it was definitely time to create some homemade milks. Even if you are allergic to nuts, use oats.
Then the creative juices started.. ahhh… ok, creative milk started to flow 🙂 Just think what you can create-
Flavored nut or oat milk ideas include:
- vanilla bean
- raspberry or strawberry
- salted caramel creamer
- mocha creamer
- very berry (blueberry, raspberry and blackberry)
- dark chocolate
- cinnamon or cardamon
- strawberry and black pepper (see now you’re getting creative!)
- fig and black pepper (ok ya got me going 🙂
- peach, apricot or mango
Did your mom every buy flavored milk when you were a kid? If so I can imagine they had all kinds of not so-healthy crap like artificial this and that and lots of sugar in it. Now you can create healthy and fun flavors!
Nut milks and oat milks are very quick to make. Especially oat milk. With nut milks they need to soak first,
to speed up the process, put boiling water over the nuts and let them sit for one-two hours. Go for a hike, hang out with friends, come back and you’re ready to create!
If desired, add natural sweetener, I used dates, 3 each for the raspberry milk and almond date creamer and 6 for the chocolate Oat milk.
You choose how thick or thin based on what you will do with your milk. Thicker means less water and you have a healthy creamer. A good high speed blender and a sieve, or a kitchen dish towel or clean t-shirt is needed. I used a fine mesh stainless steel sieve.
I was totally wowed by the Raspberry almond milk! So yummy! The chocolate is of course an all round favorite.
The leftover ground up nuts, use in smoothies, make crackers, etc.
I’d love to hear which nuts are your favorites for making your own milk and which flavors have you created?
Homemade Nut or Oat Milk
Easy Recipes for homemade nut or oat milk with ideas for flavored milk too!
- 1 cup raw nuts (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts)
- 5 cups filtered water (use less water for creamer)
- 3-4 (optional)soft dates (if dry soak them with nuts)
Optional Flavor Ideas: Pick one to add to your milk
- 2 tablespoons cacoa or unsweetened dutch cocoa powder
- 1 cup berries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or a mix frozen berries are fine
- 1/4 cup dried figs, soak with nuts + 1 tsp black peppecorns
- 1/2 cup fresh peeled: apricots, peaches or mango / use 1/4 cup dried fruit and soak in hot water for at least 1 hour.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon caramel flavor/extract + 3-6 dates +1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder + 2 Tablespoons cacao + 6 dates =Mocha flavor
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 4 cups filtered water (less water for creamer)
- 2-3 dates (if very dry add 1/2 cup boiling water to them)
Instructions for Nut Milk
Pour 1 + cup boiling water over raw nuts (and dried fruit as desired) soak nuts for 1-2 hours.
Drain nuts, rinse nuts.
Add filtered water 5 cups for milk; 2-1/2 to 3 cups water for creamer to high speed blender along with pre-soaked nuts, any sweetener such as dates or other optional fruit flavors. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes.
Strain milk through a fine sieve or with a thin dish towel. Put the towel over a large bowl, pour over the milk, gather the corners of towel hold up corners, twist and squeeze until all milk is extracted. Add any extract or spices for optional flavors.
Refrigerate in covered jars. Stir before drinking as it will separate. Use within 4-5 days. Enjoy!
Instructions for Oat Milk
Blend oats, water, optional dates and flavor choice in blender for 30-45 seconds. If you blend Oats for too long texture changes to gelatinous.
Strain through very fine sieve or a very fine weave kitchen towel. Best to strain twice as some of the oats tend to remain. Put the towel over a large bowl, pour over the milk, gather the corners of towel hold up corners, twist and squeeze until all milk is extracted. Pour into jar, cover and refrigerate. Use milk cold and don't cook with it as it tends to thicken too much like oats would 🙂 enjoy! Use within 5 days.
These are affiliate links which means I will get a tiny percentage of the purchase price but you do not pay any more for the items. It helps to defray the cost of the Dash of Wisdom blog. Thank you so much!
Products used in this recipe:
Download Betty's Ultimate Pumpkin Recipes!
Bettys Ultimate PumpkinRecipes.pdf. Fast, amazing recipes that will Wow your friends and family.
Gluten-Free, AIP and Paleo Options