Yes, already I can hear you saying, but isn’t stir fry Asian? Not necessarily. We did Kale Quinoa Lentil Stir Fry and today it is Italian Stir-Fry!
What is so great about this Italian Stir-Fry is that exact quantities of ingredients are not necessary, just like other stir-fry’s. You can mix and match the vegetables too. I will give you some ideas and have fun with it. The one I created was with white beans-yummy! I ate this chilled the next day, wow! it really brought out the basil, it was so-so good. I could see adding in some arugula for the chilled variation.
These beans of course you can purchase in a can or .. if you have an amazing Instant Pot you can take your dry beans to soft creamy perfectly cooked beans in 30 minutes.
An Instant Pot is perfect for the tiny house dweller as it is one pot that does so many different things. It is a rice cooker, sauté function, slow cooker, bean and chili cooker and pressure cooker all in one! Hint, if you use the slow cooker function you still need to turn the pressure valve to closed. I didn’t and well err, I thought my Instant Pot wasn’t working! Lol! My son Aaron suggested it was the pressure valve and he was right!
In this recipe I used eggplant, organic red bell peppers, organic zucchini, crimini mushrooms, organic baby tomatoes, lots of garlic (this is Italian after all), some onion and fresh basil, rosemary and Italian flat leaf parsley. I find the lemon zest gives it freshness to the dish. Your microplane will get lots of use in this recipe. Of course finishing the Italian Stir Fry off with Parmesan Reggiano is perfecto!
Next time I will use artichokes, red bell peppers, zucchini, garlic tomatoes, rosemary and basil. What are some of your favorite Italian flavors?
Italian Stir-FryPrint Recipe
- 1/2 cup dry white beans, rinsed and any debris removed. Or use 1 cup of canned white beans rinsed and drained of water -if using canned beans you do not need the following water, garlic or kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 clove garlic, minced (for white beans additional garlic is needed see under Vegetable and Herb ingredients)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable and Herb ingredients:
- 1/2 cup thinly cubed eggplant - *see directions for eggplant
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced yellow or red onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced in coins and cut in half
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup organic baby tomatoes, some sliced in half, others left whole
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons or more freshly finely grated Parmesan Reggiano (optional if vegan)
Directions if cooking white beans in Instant Pot -
Cook 1/2 cup of dry beans in instant pot with water, 1 minced garlic and kosher salt. Process manual on high pressure for 30 minutes. Let pressure release after thirty minutes, open pot, drain beans of water. Set beans aside.
*Directions if using Eggplant-
Put chopped eggplant in small bowl, salt with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and set aside while chopping the rest of the vegetables.
Put olive oil in 8-10 inch cast iron skillet, turn on medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, eggplant (if using) sauté stirring frequently, until mushrooms reduce in size by half, and onions are translucent. Add minced garlic, other vegetables, white beans and herbs, cook until hot approximately 3-4 more minutes. Add lemon zest.
Serve in bowl with Parmesan Reggiano. Tutti a tavola a mangiare!
Instead of Eggplant, artichoke hearts either fresh or frozen would be excellent. The mushrooms are also optional.