After fifty it is challenging to keep our weight within a normal range. If your life is like mine, it is sedentary, as my work is sitting at a desk or driving in a car. Not much exercise in that! Also, I have a hard time exercising in the winter when it is cold, damp and rainy outside. I know, I know I should do better… you are going to tell me that I just need to join a gym….well it never has been where I like to exercise. Winter weight ugh! So it is time to spring into Action with Betty’s Protein Smoothie. (Check out the video). I have been focusing on two things to lose a few winter pounds to get ready for Spring, Summer clothes and a Tropical vacation!
This Protein Smoothie I drink daily in the morning and I have started exercising, light weights and walking. I find having 20-30 grams of protein in the morning really does boost weight loss. Everyone’s body is unique and what works for me may not be what helps you. My physician told me that reducing down carbs was key to losing weight after fifty and I agree. Many people and myself included in the past will add a banana and/or other fruit to your smoothie. If your goal is to reduce weight I would recommend that you not put much fruit or fruit juice in your smoothie. You will be defeating the purpose of weight loss. Some organic blueberries, raspberries or strawberries would be an excellent choice to add. I love a few small frozen chunks of mango but again the key is just a bit of fruit. By the way if you are making your smoothie to eat later-don’t add chia seeds, otherwise you will end up with pudding and not be able to drink it. (yes, I learned that lesson hee!hee!)
**Please if you are on a protein restricted diet due to a health issue do not follow these recommendations. Always check with your physician to make sure this meal replacment is acceptable.
The protein powder I use is from Trader Joe’s but if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you I have found another protein powder called Alkamind that does not have Stevia (it is hard to find ones that do not); and it is organic. I am definitely going to try it. Why no Stevia? it is a personal preference, I just really do not like the taste of stevia. Two other key ingredients Of the protein smoothie are:
- liquid coconut oil – I tried melting the solid coconut oil or using the solid coconut oil in the smoothie. It did not work well. Once I melted it- it floated on top, if I mixed it in, it immediately started to solidify. Then tad-dah! I found fractionated coconut oil. The one in my local store is not organic. The link is to one that is organic and it has more coconut oil per ounce that the one I currently use. It is a great price, so this will be the one I buy from now on. Why do I add coconut oil to the smoothie? It adds healthy fat that keeps me feeling full for hours longer than if I just used the protein powder.
- Greens Powder
- Currently I am using this Super Greens Powder. The majority of the ingredients are organic. I have also used Organifi Green Juice– it is completely organic but considerably more expensive. I have not noticed a taste difference or noticeable difference in how I feel. If you want all organic I would suggest the Organifi product.
- Organic high Protein Almond Milk – Getting close to 30 grams of protein in the morning is pivotal for weight loss. You could add more protein powder or use some of this organic almond milk. It is more expensive than the regular unsweetened almond milk so I just use 2-3 ounces in my smoothie. Amazon has a cheaper price than Whole foods for this protein milk so it is cost savings to get it from Amazon.
- I love this Unsweetened Almond Coconut blend Milk by Blue Diamond it tastes yummy. This makes up the majority of the liquid in my Protein Smoothie.
Need a great blender that really blends frozen, chunks of ginger etc? The Ninja blender is my favorite. I will get a tiny amount of money if you purchase any of these items. It does not make the items more expensive for you it just helps for me to continue to give you excellent recipes.
Betty's Protein SmoothiePrint Recipe
- 8 ounces combination Organic Protein Almond milk and almond coconut blend milk
- 2 scoops Organic plant based Protein powder (equals 20 grams protein)
- 1 scoop organic greens powder
- 1 heaping spoonful each of *chia, hulled hemp and ground flax seeds
- 1-1 inch peeled ginger, sliced in few chunks (if desired)
- 1/4 cup max of frozen or fresh berries, or frozen mango chunks -(optional)
- * if you are drinking this later, don't add the chia seeds until you drink it as your smoothie will be a thick pudding.
Put milk and add the rest of ingredients in blender, blend until smooth and drink immediately.. Enjoy!
Download Betty's Ultimate Pumpkin Recipes!
Bettys Ultimate PumpkinRecipes.pdf. Fast, amazing recipes that will Wow your friends and family.
Gluten-Free, AIP and Paleo Options